Shared February 19, 2020
In this video i'm restoring an antique ox-tongue iron.
The ox-tongue iron is named for the particular shape of the insert. It was used in the late 19th century.
I bought this one on eBay for $25. The condition of this item was not too bad in terms of rust. Unfortunately the ox-tongue insert was missing. The handle had play because one nut of the two bolts was missing. During the dissasembling I realized that it had asbestos as termal isolation, I replaced it with parts made out of duroplastic. Duroplastic does not melt, it's heat resistant up to around 300°C. As the holes of the handle were not centered, I decided to drill them up and close them with glued in pins. One of the two bolts of the handle was bent, one nut and washer was missing and the used washer was too big. That's why I decided to make it all new. The door didn't fit at all, so I welded up the holes, and made new ones until the door sit flush with the top of the iron. After that I was able to make the outer contur fit. I choose to turn a few parts black. After the first sandblasting I removed all the scratches and pitting with sanding and then I sandblasted them again to achieve a very nice and even surface finish. The bluing then makes a very nice matte shiny look. I decided to polish the body, but I used bluing on the inside for rust protection.
Overall I really like the look from this iron, how the colors of the wood, the black steel and the polished steel play with eachother.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:
Amanda Taylor, Esq
Martin Rønnow Klarlund
01:41 showing all the parts
02:52 restoring the body
04:27 restoring the hinge
06:07 restoring the bolts
06:47 restoring the door
09:28 restoring the wooden handle
11:43 making new bolts, nuts and washers on the lathe
13:49 restoring the holder for the handle
14:24 restoring the reflector plate
15:10 showing the new parts out of duroplastic
15:17 making a new ox-tongue insert
17:22 making a new handle to hold the ox-tongue insert
20:51 showing the parts before reassembling
22:34showing the finished restoration
23:36 final test
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project for 3 week
$25 ox-tongue iron
$2 wooden pins for the handle
$15 material for the ox-tongue and handle
$40 reverse countersink hand tool
$10 wax for wood
$20 angle screwdrivers
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
„I make a new one“ T-Shirts:
My Second Channel:
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram:
My Facebook Page:
Broken Rusty Lock with Missing Key - Restoration
How I make my knives
Push Reel Mower Restoration
DIY High-Performance Board Longbow Build
Zippo Lighter Restoration, Harley Davidson edition gold plated
Full Restoration of 1970s Italian Piaggio Vespa Scooter - Full Timelapse
Antique Hand Cranked Grinder - Restoration
Making the COPPERHEAD Fulltang Knife
I Restored This 2$ Ebay Junk Game Boy Color - Retro Console Restoration & Repair
1929 Air Compressor Restoration - Restored to New Condition - I Didn't Think It Would Run
1850's Chuck Wagon Coffee Grinder Restoration
Antique Rusty Hand Plane - Restoration
INCONCEIVABLE! 155-Year-Old CIVIL WAR ERA Rusty Axe Head Tool Restoration in 4K! BURIED UNDERGROUND!
Rusty Jammed Rebar Cutter - Restoration
Making a Coin Ring
I Turned this $5 Broken Level in to a Piece of Art with Epoxy Resin
Rusty bone grinder - Restoration
Restoration Hammer Drill USA Old | Restore Drill Electric Large Capacity Max